Sunday, May 1, 2011

Batik Frame and Paper Flowers

After making the hobo quilt for my table covering for the craft fair, I had plenty of material scraps leftover. I used the material to cover one of the leftover frames. After covering, the frame was nice, but somewhat bland.

The frame sat for a few days until I ran across a tutorial for paper flowers. This tutorial showed these awesome curled/distressed flowers that looked silk, but were really paper. Turns out is was an advertisement from some paper company for use of their products. They made the whole thing seem like it couldn't be achieved without their products.

It started with simple cardstock that they used a die to cut into the shape they wanted. The tutorial said you had to wrinkle and roll the paper. The author said that it was quick and easy. My approach was using a flower shaped stamp and cutting the shape with scissors. The paper I used (not theirs) took some coercing to get the desired effect. Either the author was lying or their paper just comes apart easily.

When it was all said and done, I got the look I was hoping for and it turned into a beautiful frame. Each flower was finished with dark rose colored pearls. I haven't decided if I am listing this frame or keeping it as inspiration for other fabric covered frames like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment